Monday, January 3, 2011

My first blog posting.

I've never blogged before, but I just think there's a need for letting others know what products are American made.  On a recent trip to the grocery store, where I frequently shop, I looked at the packaging label of every item I had on my list to purchase.  I wanted to see how many of these items were "made in America".  (I admit, I have not researched to find out if there's a required way to say this on a package, but I assumed it needed to be either "Made in the U.S.A." or "Product of the U.S.A.", based on what I was seeing on the packages.)

I was totally surprised how few of the items I had on my list displayed such a phrase.  Many had "Distributed by..." or just a U.S. city and state, but it was challenging to find even cereals that stated they were made in the good 'ole U.S.A.  This is when I started thinking about doing a blog where I would let others know what products I find that are manufactured here in the U.S. and those that may be processed elsewhere, or where the ingredients come from somewhere else and packaged here.

I want to become a more knowledgeable consumer and am willing to share my information with others. Please understand that I'm not opposed to a global economy -- my husband and I are farmers and we certainly understand the importance of strong exports for the corn and soybeans we grow.  Likewise, I sell for The Longaberger Co. and some of the accessory products we offer (pottery, wrought iron, fabric accessories) come from outside the U.S.  But wherever possible, I want to try and buy American-made products, because I want our economy to remain strong.  I believe in the power of one -- that one person does make a difference. So if I can learn from the information I gather for this blog, I'm hoping that by sharing, I will help others think about the purchases they make.

If you have suggestions on how to list this information please let me know.  I may try to set up some product categories and state what specific products I find that are American made and which store I found them in. Or maybe I should do it by the name of the store (chain or independent) and then the name of the products made in the U.S.  Likewise, I plan to contact manufacturing companies and inquire where the ingredients come from and/or where the product is processed and if it is then shipped to the U.S. for packaging.

Let me know if you have specific products you want to inquire about or if you have products you've found that are "Made in the U.S.A." you would like to post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    One company that still "makes in America" is New Balance. Granted not all their products are American made but while visiting/shopping on their site one can see which items were manufactured in the U.S. and which items were completely made in the U.S.

    Another fun fact: New Balance is the only sporting shoe company (including Nike, Addias, etc.) that still makes shoes in the U.S. That dedication to our country alone has changed my mind to shop only New Balance for my tennis shoes.

    -- Just a small FYI to add to your list or items/companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jenna for sharing this comment. I appreciate learning this information (who says a daughter can't teach her mother something?!). I'm hoping others will start to do the same. We can all learn from each other -- and make a difference in our economy, one person at a time. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete